Dr. Pehling has adapted a variety of physical medicine approaches that are commonly used to treat other orthopedic problems such as knees or neck dysfunction. Dr. Pehling will often combine several of these therapies in a single visit to maximize treatment.
- Myofascial release which treats the tight painful trigger points in the jaw muscles using manual pressure.
- Vapo-coolant Spray and Stretch is a technique that uses vapo-coolant ethyl chloride topically on your skin while we stretch your jaw and head in order to establish normal movements and reduce muscle tightness.
- Orthopedic jaw mobilizations are a special technique which Dr. Pehling has specifically developed using chiropractic and osteopathic techniques specific to jaw manipulations to improve the gliding motion of the jaw joint and to improve condyle and disk position. Often we are able to unlock stuck jaws in one or two appointments using this technique. On occasion this technique is also used with IV sedation.
- Ultrasound is used to increase blood flow to an area to speed healing and collagen growth in the joint.
- TENS/MENS are electrical nerve stimulators, which helps the muscles relax and decreases pain.
- Iontophoresis uses electrical stimulation to drive medications through the skin into the TMJ without the use of needles.
- Hot and cold therapy to relax the muscles and decrease inflammation.